APPLICATION due May 2, 2020 for 2020-2021 Fellowship Year.
A one-year scholarship to study traditional and contemporary taiko in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Fellowship normally begins in summer however, the start date is flexible. Applications are due May 2 each year.
“The TCP Fellowship acted as a jet-fueled launch pad for my career as a professional taiko drummer. The combination of knowledge, technique, mindset, and connections that you gain at TCP are exactly what you need if you are looking at taking yourself to the next level.”
-Christopher Holland, former TCP Fellow
Congratulations to Josephine Hung for being selected the 2019-2020 TCP Fellow!!!
List of past & present fellows
- $250 one-time cash stipend. Opportunity to participate in any regular TCP class. Placement in the TCP Performing Ensemble Trainee Program with the opportunity to become a performing member of the Honolulu ensemble.
- Opportunities to study hogaku hayashi, matsuri bayashi, lion dance, and fue through discounted private lessons with Kenny Endo.
- Possible part-time taiko teaching assistant position in the summer.
- Possible part-time employment as an administrative and/or teaching staff member.
- A large and close-knit taiko community.
- Opportunities to travel and perform on neighbor islands.
- Access to quality higher education opportunities at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Kapiolani Community College, Chaminade University, and Hawaii Pacific University.
- Great weather! Great food! Great beaches!
- Fellowship recipients must be at least 18 years of age.
- Minimum of 3 years taiko experience, or an equivalent combination of experience in taiko and other performing arts.
- Applicants must submit, by mail or online: an application form, 10-15 minute audition videotape (DVD or YouTube), and an application essay. Finalists may be interviewed via telephone by members of TCP Performing Ensemble.
- One-year commitment required with possibility for renewal. Approximately 10-15 hours/week in practice, teaching and administrative assistance.
Who should apply?
- Members of youth taiko groups who are interested in pursuing their undergraduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Members of collegiate taiko groups who are interested in pursuing graduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Any other member of the taiko community interested in pursuing this unique opportunity.
Application Form: TCP Fellowship Application
Deadline: May 2, 2020 for 2020-2021 Fellowship Year.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit online: please email to email@example.com
To submit by mail: please mail to:
Taiko Center of the Pacific
4348 Waialae Avenue #357
Honolulu, HI 96816
Attn: TCP Fellowship