A one-year scholarship to study traditional and contemporary taiko in Honolulu, Hawaii. Fellowship begins summer 2017 for 2017 – 2018 (start date flexible).
Congratulations to Jason Ihm & Timothy Siu for being selected as the 2017-2018 TCP Fellows!!!
List of past & present fellows
- $250 one-time cash stipend. Opportunity to participate in any regular TCP class. Placement in the TCP Performing Ensemble Trainee Program with the opportunity to become a performing member of the Honolulu ensemble.
- Opportunities to study hogaku hayashi, matsuri bayashi, lion dance, and fue through discounted private lessons with Kenny Endo.
- Possible part-time taiko teaching assistant position in the summer.
- Possible part-time employment as an administrative and/or teaching staff member.
- A large and close-knit taiko community.
- Opportunities to travel and perform on neighbor islands.
- Access to quality higher education opportunities at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Kapiolani Community College, Chaminade University, and Hawaii Pacific University.
- Great weather! Great food! Great beaches!
- Fellowship recipients must be between 18-35 years old.
- Minimum of 3 years taiko experience, or an equivalent combination of experience in taiko and other performing arts.
- Applicants must submit, by mail or online: an application form, 10-15 minute audition videotape (DVD or YouTube), and an application essay. Finalists may be interviewed via telephone by members of TCP Performing Ensemble.
- One-year commitment required with possibility for renewal. Approximately 10-15 hours/week in practice, teaching and administrative assistance.
Who should apply?
- Members of youth taiko groups who are interested in pursuing their undergraduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Members of collegiate taiko groups who are interested in pursuing graduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Any other member of the taiko community interested in pursuing this unique opportunity.
Application Form: TCP-fellowship-application-final-digitalfillable
Deadline: May 9, 2017 (date extended)
To submit online: please email to email@example.com
To submit by mail: please mail to:
Taiko Center of the Pacific
4348 Waialae Avenue #357
Honolulu, HI 96816
Attn: TCP Fellowship